Thursday, 24 November 2011

Ethical Fashion

Photobucket

A week or two ago Ceri Heathcote sent me an email telling me all about her ethical fashion blog which you should definitely check out, and a competition she is running. Since then I have been pondering what to put together to illustrate a little ethical fashion. When I get chance to do a little thrift shopping I always feel a little guilty that a lot of the clothes in my wardrobe are high street and I vow to make an effort to shop in thrift stores more often.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I always seem to forget that many of the items in my wardrobe theses days seem to come from eBay which means most are second hand or vintage. Surely that counts as being ethically responsible with my clothing choices? While it can be quite easy to spend a bit more on eBay that you would normally spend on a second hand item it is still a great marketplace for buying clothing with a little ethical consideration.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The coat is a new acquisition, a vintage camel coat that I love, it is a great length and I think it is going to go with everything. The dress is a Cath Kidston dress, also from eBay, that I hemmed a bit shorter since I love the floral patterns but the dresses always come up really long on me. My hemming isn't the best, it is in fact very crooked so I think I might have to have another go to straighten it out. Even the shoes are from eBay, I nearly bought them so many times when they were in Topshop and was sorry to miss out. When I first discovered eBay they were my first purchase!

So this is my impression of ethical fashion, second hand bargains from eBay. What do you think of ethical fashion? How ethical is your wardrobe?

10 comments:

  1. Julia Office Butterfly24 November 2011 18:01

    I don't do thrift shopping. But, I do love that dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great outfit! I especially like the coat.
    My wardrobe probably isn't very ethical but I am starting to think about it more. I never throw clothes away (unless they are unwearable!), I always donate them to charity shops. My friends and I have started holding clothes swaps too. And I don't shop at Penneys (Primark) anymore, as throwaway fashion isn't a concept I want to support anymore.
    It's a start I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I like the dress, especially hemmed up a bit. Cath Kidston dresses are always sooo long I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Cait. Since moving to NZ where things are really expensive i have spent more than I thought I ever would on second hand clothes. In the UK i love charity shops but only ever spent a max of 10 pound on second hand items - I just paid 15 for a random old clutch here this week! But after seeing your post it makes me feel a lot more ethical :)

    Sadie x

    PS Love your camel coat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the outfit. The pattern of the dress is so pretty and feminine. I would like to think that the majority of my wardrobe is fiscally ethical. Do I buy a lot of clothes? Yes. But I refuse to spend a lot of money on a dress. Most dresses I buy are from ebay or from sites like eshakti.com or any place I can find an amazing coupon DURING a sale. I have SO many dresses/skirts from the thrift store too. Do I spend too much money...yes...but I'd like to think I'm getting more bang for my buck by buying clothes at a bare minimum price. Well...hopefully.

    Jenna
    www.sewsavoirfairecreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. great dress and shoes Cait I love ethical fashion! like the reader below most of my items and vintage or recycled. Annie Greenabelle does ethical stuff and her designs are great
    XX Ilana

    www.mymodernvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously love your jacket, your outfit you put together is very beautiful!

    http://berealbehappy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your caramel coat and ethical fashion is an issue near to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats for winning at Ethical Fashion contest. Would you like to enter my small fashion contest? I'd love for the fashonistas like you to participate. I am not getting any good entries so far, some are shy to get it started and some are just not stylish enough.
    Please take a look.http://beautysecrets-reviewed.com/2011/11/enter-christmas-celebrity-pageant-contest-giveaway/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your outfit and these pictures, you look so good, that dress is really beautiful, the print, the length, the shape are all perfect also your coat rocks! Your blog is lovely by the way and I am a new follower! Hope you will like my blog and follow back!
    Also make sure and check out my blog for a chance to win a spectacular party dress

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete